Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Worth it!

I still haven't finished my quilt top.  But for a good reason!  We ran a test indigo dye class with friends.


We have dyed on our own but really want to share the fun with more people so we experimented on some of our friends


Don't we look organized?  
We happen to have amazing, creative and fabulous friends so it was bound to be fun even if we did everything wrong.

  

We set up a Shibori (tie dye) station.


When collecting scissors, marbles and other fun stuff starts to feel like work, I'll let you know.


To me it just looks like treasure.


Why else would I take a picture of rubber bands?


We had some Shibori half way put together to share some techniques.


There were samples to show and, because I just have to be me, library books for reference.  
The library is an amazing resource,.yo.

 

Then we were ready to get serious. 


This is about the time that Miranda (of Miranda Beyer Photography) started taking pictures.  You can tell which ones are hers because they are beautiful.  She specializes in newborn baby pictures but every picture she takes looks awesome, she has a great eye. 

I make my own Kombucha but I happened to have a bunch of Nessalla Kombucha for some guests.  I decided to forgo getting my bottle deposit back so we could use their growlers to tie fabric around. 


When I see what folks made using the bottles...


...all I can think...


...is...
  

Worth it!


We tied.



We dyed.


We untied.


We revealed and then...


...we smiled.


Check out these socks.


We were all in it together.  Here three people are undoing the shibori stuff because we can't wait to see...



This!


This yarn is ombre dyed and knotted so that it achieves a kettle dyed look.  None of us quite knew how to do it but Tanya was willing and excited to experiment.


And it worked really well.


Here are three pieces made by a woman who said she wan't a crafty person.



...seriously...


What was she thinking?  Her work is awesome and creative.


Another woman who said the same thing.


I'll never believe them again!



Everyone felt really comfortable trying out new techniques.

Indigo is a great medium to play with.



A great and messy day was had by all.  We plan on offering an indigo dyeing class this fall in Madison WI.  You can follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter to get an announcement closer to the date if you're interested.

Now get out there and make a creative mess.  I will too.  I'm gonna finish that quilt top, dang it!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM , Blogger verdemama said...

Those turned out amazing!

 
At July 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Kaiya said...

Those are all stunning - indigo dyes up into such a rich, beautiful color! Although I am curious, how were the marbles used?

 
At July 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Kaiya,

Check out the t-shirt that's in the last few pictures (Except for the very bottom picture of gloves). For that one, she used marbles with rubber bands wrapped around them to make the large white circles with the blue centers. If you scroll up a bit you can see the picture of three sets of hands untying the marbles at once.
It gives the circle a more defined circle like look verses a spider web look or a random shape. When you just tie a bit off without a marble, the shape may tend towards a square or even be a little different and random.
Whew, that was long winded. I hope I answered your question.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.jenniferfalkowski.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service