Friday, March 8, 2013

It Was All My Fault

After all.

I tried to make a shirt from the Alabama Chanin book but it didn't fit - too small.  I also couldn't get my head through the hole and decided it could be their fault.  But it wasn't.  It was me.  Deep down inside I knew it all along.

  I didn't read the directions closely (shocking, I know) and thought that the t-shirt back of the pattern should be cut twice and used for the front and back.  No.  There is a separate pattern piece for the front.  

Ever so sorry. 


Luckily, I am stubborn.  I went to the thrift shop and bought a mighty pile of gigantic tee-shirts.


Here's the sleeve pattern.  It fit the original sleeve right at the short sleeve length.  Perfect.  

When you buy a sewing book with patterns, you don't want to cut the patterns directly our of the book.  I was stymied by this at first but some smart people on the interwebs set me straight.  You copy the pattern onto wax paper.  So smart.


I may be XL but luckily this tee shirt is a men's XXL.  Plenty of fabric to play with.


Wax paper patterns are so easy to modify. I just taped an extra little slip of paper right onto the pattern.  But this one was still a bit snug.  So, I don't have a finished product to show yet.  I'm going to add a tiny bit more and try again. 

What's that you say?  The baby quilt?  Hmm.  Oh yeah.  I put in one line of stitching but I'm obsessed with the tee shirt thing.  I've got time...I've got time...I hope.  One more try at that shirt first.

I hope to model a perfect fitting tee shirt for you here soon. 

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM , Blogger liniecat said...

Must seek this book out it looks interesting!
Wax paper.......wouldnt have thought of using that!! thanks!

 
At March 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You're welcome. I love the wax paper, it's really easy to modify.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.jenniferfalkowski.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service