Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sigh

I finally got going on this Quilt Guild project.  For those who haven't been following along, I joined a local Modern Quilt Guild.  The people are very nice and I enjoyed the meeting.  For fun, they had a scrap swap.  We each brought in some scraps and swapped them with someone else with the intention of making something for each other and then giving it back finished.  I brought denim and the minute we switched ziploc bags, my heart sank. I got selvedges that are black and white and highly patterned.  No, not crazy about those.  But I rallied.  I picked a bargello type quilt to work on and got started.  Well - I knew this about myself already - I don't like to take direction and I don't play well with others and, I've recently learned, making a bargello quilt is super dull.  I like making quilts out of solid fabrics and making them up as I go along.  Anyhoo - I put it off for over a month and now the next meeting is coming up on tomorrow. 

So yesterday:

 
  
I pulled out my already cut scraps to iron.  Please note that there are lots of them.  Should make a decent doll quilt, right?  And then some.

 

Oops - dang it, I sewed one on backwards.  I always do that.  
 

There.  Fixed and all sewn up.  I trimmed the edges and sewed the top to the bottom to make a tube.  It really is a clever (but picky) technique.
 

 

Then I turned it and started chopping the tube up.  See those safety pins?  They're there to help me keep track

   

Still with me?  Boring to read, boring-er to do.  Actually this part was the funnest bit.  All lined up and ...

 

Tada!  Wonky and cool.

Backside

Unpick the seams that make them tubes and they make this cool pattern.

Frontside
 

But somehow, in all that seaming, it ended up as this long skinny piece of nothing (Remember waaaaay back to the beginning of this post?  When there was plenty of fabric?).  What the what am I supposed to make that into?  This is where I got re-stuck.  Tomorrow night it's supposed to be a finished thing.  My swap partner did have a list of suggested items she hoped it would be: A zipper pouch, an iphone case, a throw pillow or a doll quilt.  Not seeing any of those things here.  

And then there's this:  She's an actual quilter.  She probably could have made something better out of her own scraps.  Something she actually wants.  So, like, I could make it into a wall hanging but she'll never hang it.  If I cut it in half (which I'm tempted to do), to make a doll quilt, the cool zig-zaggy-ness effect will look decidedly uncool.  So...sigh...

"Sigh" is all I got.  I'll post a picture of whatever is ends up as.  I'll have to machine quilt it since there's no time to do it by hand.  Also, I have resolved to never ever join a swap like this again.  So, there is a bright side.  :)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous Susan said...

Just ignore me if I'm being super naive, because I'm not a quilter by any means, just an admirer of them ;) But now that it's one piece of fabric, couldn't it be cut and sewn into a pouch or iphone case, as if it were one cut of fabric? It would look really cool as a pouch because the zig zags would wrap around, and keep the effect. At any rate, I'm impressed you could make anything out it. I got anxious looking at the pile of scraps, as if I was going to have to make something out of them!

 
At October 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM , Anonymous Michelle said...

I think the effect of your quilting is really cool. I agree with Susan that it would look really neat as some sort of case or maybe even a little clutch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.jenniferfalkowski.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service