Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Wash Turned The Birds Upside Down



Before the wash

After the wash
After ironing after the wash.
I wish I had measured it before washing it for a comparison.   It looks smaller in the picture but I probably had the camera at a slightly different angle so there's no telling.

Check out those monster bumps on the jeans side:


 I could have sewn the lines of stitching closer together but I wanted to sew around the pockets so they could still be usable.


 So...bumps it is.

 Before

After

Besides slightly fading the colors in a pleasing, vintage-y way, all the wash did was turn the birds upside down (just kidding).   Well, not really, obviously bird fabric shrank.  I've sewn jean quilts with lots of space between stitches before and they didn't bump like this.  I'm considering this quilt a lesson quilt rather than a failure quilt because that's just the way I think.  I'm still gonna gift it.  I think having a quilt with usable pockets is more important than having a quilt that is perfectly smooth...right?

Getting gifts with a bunch of apology statements is kind of uncomfortable so the real trick will be handing it over without any qualifying statements.  Like it just is what it is and it's all on purpose and doesn't need any explanation.  So, that's my next challenge.  Wish me luck.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Entwined Essentials said...

Of course we crafters notice all the mistakes and problems in our work. I have the same problem when gifting something. It is a challenge to not say something about what we know is "wrong" with it. Good luck, lol! =)

 
At June 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Rebel said...

Yeah, no apologies, just say I thought this would be really fun for baby to have. I hope she/he loves it to pieces!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.jenniferfalkowski.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service