Friday, December 2, 2011

I'm Not Done Monkeying Around


So, Matt flipped this over to the non oiled side for me.  It's pretty light in color but after one coat of oil:
Oh yeah, it's darker but so much more wood grain detail shows up.  I measured the thickness and it's about 7.5 inches on one side and just under 7 inches on the other side.  Matt thinks that it will just be uneven on the top and we don't have to worry about it being tippy because it's so heavy.  I really hope he's right. 

On to sewing stuff.  Here's the progress I made on my quilt after I climbed down off of the dining room table (Notice, the quilt's on the floor now).  I sewed the denim squares into the long strips of corduroy.  I really had an image of lots of squares sewn together when the design of this quilt popped into my head though (Not just the place where the fabric is different) so I decided to sew fake seams into the strips.  Here's how I did it:
That's right.  It's another tutorial for a thing I've only done once.  What the hell, why not?  OK, here's the wrong side of the corduroy fabric.

I folded the end over so that the right sides were together.  I only folded over about 5 or 6 inches of it.


Then I just sewed along the edge.

Halfway down*
Done.
Here is it on the right side and it totally looks like two squares sewn together.  Hardly worth a tutorial because it's so simple.  I kept on going at uneven intervals to make it look patchier.  I did make a few real seams to add interest.  Those are the spots where I changed the direction of some of the squares because I like the way the corduroy looks going in different directionsI even cut a denim strip in half to try that interrupted path thing I mentioned in the last post and ...meh...not that exciting.  Worth a try.

There it is.  I have more strips to do but ran out of steam. 
Close up.  I'm not done monkeying around with the strips.  I might shorten some and changes some widths and directions.  For me, that's part of the fun of patchwork.
*This is where I hit a snag. What had I done?  Threaded the needle wrong?  I guess so.  It looks like only half of the thread went through the needle so one half got wound around the other half and made a mess.  Of course this had to happen while I was trying to get some 'how to' pictures.  Sheesh

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Lynch Family said...

Your writing makes me smile, your projects make me jealous. Both of these things make me happy to know you. More pictures please!!

 
At December 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Sarah h said...

Just stopping by from Raverly, love your quilts :) I agree more pictures PLEASE! <3

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.jenniferfalkowski.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service